Thursday, 3 February 2011

Devon Ware Potteries

Here I have tried to list of some of the art potteries operating in the county of Devon and a few in Somerset. This is not a exhaustive list but hopefully covers most operating during the 1880-1960 period. For some potteries the listing is short with a view to a longer posting at a later date. Sorry no pictures of marks as this would nearly impossible to collect pictures of all the variations.




Aller Vale established producing art pottery by 1881 and closed in 1924 - longer posting to follow
Avery Ward made at the Barton Pottery for a London retailer.
Babbacombe established in 1952 by Wallis Hill at an old quarry. continues today
Baron Pottery
Founded in 1893 by William Leonard Baron (1863-1937) at Rolle Quay, Barnstaple. He had previously worked for Doulton's at Lambeth and had studied the Barnstaple School of Art. Product range included the usual Devon grotesque and Animal some with glass eye. Very similar to the products of the nearby Brannam factory.
Barton first established in the 1920's by H F Jackson & Co as the Mayville Pottery on the corner of Barton Road and Audley Avenue in Torquay. It's name was changed to Barton Potteries Ltd after becoming a limited company. Specialised in small items often decorated with moonlight scenes. This designed was introduced by Harry Birbeck c1922. This factory closed in 1938 with the remaining pottery blanks being sold to the Honiton Pottery.
Bovey Tracey Pottery Co Ltd originally established by 1775 continuing under various owners until 1956. Best remembered for the Wemyss Wares marketed as Plichta.
Bovey Tracey Art Pottery was a subsidiary of the Torquay Pottery at Hele Cross and owned by Enoch Staddon and later by V and M Kane. Operating from 1919 until 1930.
Brannam Pottery established in 1847 by Thomas Brannam in Barnstaple making domestic ware. Best remember for their art pottery made by Charles Hubert Brannam. The firm continues today. - further posting is required.
Braunton Pottery established 1912 in Station Road, Braunton by William Fishley Holland for its owner Mr Hooper. It was here that Michael Cardew learnt to throw a pot. William ran Braunton until 1921 when Mr Hooper went bankrupt. William wanted to take over the business but it was sold to Mr W H Garnish. Garnish had been a potter for William Baron. He continued making the designs that were made popular by Fishley Holland and ran the pottery until his retirement in 1959 when he handed it over to Henry Chichester and Frederick Luscombe.  The pottery closed in 1971
Brewer, Broomhill a small business established c1880 in a house on Hele Road. Their wares were terracotta items decorated with oil paints. Ceased in the 1890's. Wares sometimes marked "Broomhill, Torquay"
Britannia Designs part of the Dartmouth Pottery. This range was introduced in 1958.
Buckfast incised mark c1930. Probably produced at the Devon Tors.
Candy Ware A range of art pottery made at the Great Western Pottery in Newton Abbot during the 1920's until 1960's. It was established by Frank Candy making salt glazed domestic ware and some stoneware similar in style to Doulton. Westcontree art pottery was introduced after WW1 with it being renamed Candy Ware in c1932. The firm continues today as the Candy Tile Factory.
Coom'n tor made at Daison Art Pottery c1920 for the London retailer E Herbert and Co Ltd
Daison Art Pottery A range of pottery made by Harry Cute at the Tor Vale pottery c1926-31
Dartmouth Pottery established in 1948 producing traditional Torquay wares, hand thrown and hand decorated. Later items were moulded and transfer decorated. Continues today.
Devon Art Pottery see Hart and Moist
Devonmoor Art Pottery based on the edge of Dartmoor. It was established in 1922 by Herford Hope in the premises formerly occupied by Liverton Pottery. The pottery closed in 1981.
Devonshire Potteries Ltd established in 1948 by V Kane on the site of the Bovey Tracey Art Pottery. Marks included at Pixie within Devon Ware Pottery Ltd
Devon Tors operating in Bovey tracey from 1921 and ceasing by 1970
Dunster established by George Fishley Holland from 1959 onwards when he moved the family pottery from Clevedon to Dunster. Too much for this short summary and will need a longer posting to discuss the Fremington and Fishley Holland influence.
Exeter Art Pottery Established c1891 by Messrs Cole and Trelease's as the Exeter Art Pottery and was situated at 7 Exe Street. William Hart, who had worked at the Aller Vale pottery at Newton Abbot was taken on as a potter and manager. In 1893, Hart Alfred Moist who had worked at the Bovey Tracey Pottery.  It is probable that Moist did most of the throwing and Hart the decoration. They used local brown clays, from the clay beds at Monks Road, that were the main source for the Exeter Brick and Tile Company's Rougemont Works.  The decorative white slip was from Bovey Tracey. The ornamental vases were stamped on the base 'MADE AT THE EXETER ART POTTERY' circling the Exeter castle of three towers from the city coat of arms. This firm had ceased trading by 1896.
Fishley Holland a family of pottery based in North Devon and Somerset a various locations including Fremington, Braunton, Clevedon and Dunster.
Forster & Hunt, Honiton small pottery operating in Honiton from 1915 until 1918.
Fremington more Fishley Holland influence
Hart and Moist Established c1896 by William Hart and Alfred Moist after the closure of the Exeter Art Pottery. Based in a cob barn at Haven Road, they set up their own pottery to produce what would be known as Devon Art Pottery. Alfred's brother, Joseph, who had been working at Burslem, joined them in 1897. They still used the Monks Road clay which was transported by horse and cart from the brick works. The company also extracted clay and sand from a site in Tan Lane. Charles Collard, worked for them briefly in 1891 and probably again in 1902 after a period at Aller Vale Pottery. Up until 1920 the base of the pots were impressed H M Exeter, or sometimes a circular Royal Devon Art Potteries England was applied from a rubber stamp. The pottery trained up local girls to decorate the pots, which were similar in style to those of Aller Vale. William Hart retired in 1920 after which the pottery started turning out cheaper seaside motto ware souvenirs. The business suffered in the late 1920's and on the 30th December 1932 they filed for bankruptcy
Hele Cross a range made by the Torquay Pottery Company at Hele Cross during the 1920's.
made for Herbert's made at Daison Art Pottery c1920 for the London retailer E Herbert and Co Ltd
Honiton Pottery This pottery was established by Charles Collard in c1918
H F Jackson & Co see Barton Pottery
Lauder - Barnstaple established by Alexander Lauder (1836-1921) the head teacher at Barnstaple School of Art when C H Brannam was a pupil.
Lemon & Crute See Tor Vale
Liverton impressed or incised marks. Operating c1914-20.
Longpark Established by 1883 on a site in Newton Road, Torquay. Continued under various ownership and producing variously named ware until closure in 1957. Generally a better quality pot than other Devon wares.
Mayville Pottery see Barton Pottery
Phillips see Aller Vale
Plymouth Gas Fired Operating from 1925 until 1928 with a studio in Gashouse Lane, Plymouth producing typical Devon motto ware, scandy and cottage patterns
Priddoe's Studio Pottery established by Peter Priddoe in the early 1960's. He had previously worked as a potter at Babbacombe and Dartmouth.
Radleigh made by Cecil Chudleigh in the 1960's and 1970's from his workshop in his back garden.
Royal Torquay Pottery a range made by the Torquay Pottery Company at Hele Cross during the 1920's.
St Marychurch Pottery working1962 until 1969. Set up by the Wilson Brothers and based in Fore Street, St Marychurch, Torquay. Products were mainly traditional cottages motto wares.
Sandygate Pottery Ltd based in Kingsteignton and operating from 1950. Products included polka dot table wares and novelty animals,
Stapleton range of pottery made by the Torquay Terracatta Company c1885-1905 with some being reproductions of Christopher Dresser designs.
Tormohun  a trading name used by Longpark.
Tor Vale founded in 1910 on a site at the junction of Teignmouth Road and Trumlands Road in Torquay. After a short period of success they encountered financial difficulties and went in to liquidation. By 1914 the pottery was being run by Tom Lemon and Harry Crute as Lemon and Crute which ran until 1926 when Tom Lemon left to establish the Wesuma Pottery in Weston Super Mare. Harry Crute continued trading as Daison Art Pottery until it closure in 1931.
Torquay Terracotta Company was established at Hele Cross in 1875 producing fine terracotta of the best quality. Including figures and busts. Some wares were decorated with birds by the artist/designer Alexander Fisher. During the 1880's90's a range called Stapleton Ware was made. These were glaze effect wares similar in colour and shape to the designs of Dr Christopher Dresser made at Linthorpe and Ault, again very good quality but perhaps not a commercial success. The firm ceased trading c1905. Often marked with a TTC monogram or Stapleton.
Torquay Pottery Company Opened c1905 on the site of the Torquay Terracotta Company in Hele Cross. Owned by Enoch Staddon, it traded under various names including, Hele Cross Pottery, Torquay Pottery and Royal Torquay Pottery.  They wares were popular and now quite common often decorated with embossed bird or Widdicombe Fair figures. They also ran the Bovey Tracey Art Pottery producing very similar items. The Hele Cross pottery was damage by fire in the late 1930's and never reopened.
Watcombe Established by 1865 and continued until 1962. Some very good ware were made and need a posting all to itself.
Wellhouse Pottery established in 1982
Wembury A pottery operating in Wembury near Plymouth during the 1920's.
Wescontree See Candy Ware.
   



T
his blog is "free to all" with no joining fees - financed by the few clicks on sponsored adverts.
To buy books on these subjects, try;
Dartmouth and the South Devon Potteries
Art of the Torquay and South Devon Potters
Torquay Pottery Mark Book Cheap and useful - a good starting point.
The Fishleys of Fremington: A Devon Slipware Tradition
sponsored link







 

Post a Comment