|formed by a group of leading artisans including the "15",It latter develpoed into|
They were a London based manufacturers of metalwork, silver and jewelery in the art and crafts style. Founded in 1901 by Nelson Dawson from his workshop in Chiswick. Dawson sold the business in 1903 to Montague Fordham. He had previously been a director of the Birmingham Guild of Handicraft. Led by their chief designer Edward Spencer from c1903.
Workers included J H M Bonnor who designed jewellery and marked work "JHMB", Charles Moxey, Eric Ross, S Smith, John Green, Walter Spencer, Frank Green, Frank Jobe, H R Fowler and G Spink. Silver usually hallmarked base metals usually unmarked
Birmingham Guild of Handicraft.
Their motto was
|Established c1890 as part of the Birmingham Kyrle Society. With Arthur Dixon and Montague Fordham as directors. By 1895 they were a limited company based at the Kyrle Hall, Sheep St, Birmingham. They moved to Great Charles Str in 1898 where they made metalwork, lighting, furniture and had their own press. Arthur Dixon was chief designer with other noted associates of A E Jones and Bernard Sleigh. Registered hallmark in Birmingham from 1897, this being BGHLtd within a diamond and from B.G.Ltd within a rectangle from 1910.|
|Established by Walter Gilbert they worked in metal, wood, glass and tapestry. Designer included Joseph Hodel, Phoebe Stabler and others. They made the made gates to Buckingham Palace.|
Central School of Arts and Crafts
|Noted teacher include; William Lethaby, Noted students include;|
Cromer Guild of Handicraft
|Established c1910 by Guild Master Herbert H Stansfield "to attempt to application of the teaching of Ruskin, William Morris and others in connection with the production by hand-work of simple and beautiful articles of everyday use as well as work of ecclesiastical character" The International Studio 1914.|
|Established by Harry Peach with the help of Benjamin Fletcher as Dryad Cane Furniture in c1906. Harry Peach (1874-1936) had been a bookseller before being inspired by the writing of Willam Morris and William Lethaby. |
Dryad Metal Works was established in 1912 when Peach went into partnership with William H Pick the proprietor of the firm Collins & Co of Leicester. They made many base metal items with one of the most successful lines being a copper bowl with a brass twisted wire rim and cast brass feet. Also some silver items with Birmingham hallmarks of C&Co and Dryad.
Exhibited at the 1922 and 1929, British Industries Fair, White City.
Farnham School of Art
|This school was founded in1866. William Herbert Allen was master from 1889 to 1927. Students often worked in association with the Farnham Pottery with W H Allen designing item for the Pottery. The studio potter Henry Hammond was a ceramic instructor during the 1960's70's.|
|The Filemiletown Class was established in 1882 by Mary Montgomery in County Tyrone, Ireland. Initially items were designed by her husband and later by John Williams. John Williams had previously worked with the Guild of Handicrafts. |
They regularly exhibted at
Guild of Handicraft Ltd
|The Guild of Handicraft was established by Charles Robert Ashbee (1863-1942) in 1888 with it's first permanent workshop in EssexHouse in the Mile End Road. They moved to Chipping Campden in 1902 and the venture failed by 1907. Hallmark continued in use by George Hart and continues today from the Chipping Campden Workshop. |
This is just a short introduction. For more detail try;
Kensington School of Design
|They had some design input to the Kenmare Lace workshops in Ireland. Which had been established by the Poor Clares to provide training and employment for women and girls made destitute in the great famine.|
Keswick School of Industrial Art
|See separate posting.|
|This mark was seen on a brass trivet with the same construction as those made at Keswick. Possibly "higher education class"|
|A firm of silversmith operating in Newcastle c1890-1910. Head of design and founder is understood to be Richard G Hatton . The Guild was sponsored by the industrialist |
Their designs rely heavily on the arts and crafts traditional often mixing traditional silversmith with artistic hand painted enamel panels.
also refered to as the; Handicraft Company of Newcastle
|Established in 1890 by the artist |
Northern Art Workers' Guild
|Founded in 1896. |
Founder members included architect Sir . Other members included J R Cooper, Hugh Wallis
Red Rose Guild
est 1920 - 1962
|The Red Rose Guild was founded in 1920 and continued until 1963 with a break 1940-46 during World War II. The guild was established after an exhibition at the Houldsworth Hall in Manchester organised by the wood engraver Margaret Pilkington, There first official exhibition as the Red Rose Guild of Artworkers was held in October 1921with exhibitors including Phyllis Barron and Ethel Mairet and with founder members including Hugh Wallis. Bernard Leach and William Staite Murray started to exhibit from 1924 .|
Scottish Guild of Handicraft Ltd
|Originally based in Glasgow they moved to Burghmuir, Sterling in an effort to be more Scottish. Listed in the 1906 directory as art metal workers. Design motifs include celtic knots similar to A Ritchie. In The Studio 1905 they say |
Members included; Margaret De Courcy Lethwaite Dewar (1878-1959), John Ednie,
This blog is "free to all" with no joining fees - financed by the few clicks on sponsored adverts.