Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Jane Camp - Artist

I was reminded of this artist after watching the horse racing at Royal Ascot on the television. She is not my usual type of artist, as this one is known only for her paintings.




























Training the Youngsters

Jane Camp was born in Clapham in 1932. She is a self taught artist who did not start painting until she was nearly 50. That's some latent talent hidden for too long ! She usually paints in oils or gouache with her subjects ranging from peaceful gardens, children playing to the sporting subjects that I particularly like. I have seen cricket, rugby, football, fishing as well as equestrian subjects.


In the Paddock

And how did I find her ? I had noticed a few of her works cropping up at local auctions and I was surprised to find that she lived near Dorking, where I have my retatil gallery space, I seem to be drawn to Dorking artists. The printmaker Winifred Austen was also a Dorking resident.


Her work was good enough to be accepted for exhibitions at the Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours and at the Society of Women artists. She also held a series of one women shows at the Westcott Gallery, near Dorking. If the style looks familiar it is because her painting were reproduced by the Medici Society as greetings cards; nearly printmaking !

So, watch out for her work. It is pleasing on the eye, usually quite loosely painted, arty enough to be different but still easy to understand. I don't know whether she is still painting.
Post a Comment