Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Massier in Vallauris

I have been trying to find a new subject for a series of postings -- and stumbled across this as an idea. Postcards of Potteries !! -- well; I think it is a good idea. Initially the series will start in France, some major names like the Massiers and Quimper, other like Malicorne will be little known to the anglo readers of this blog.

The Massier family of potters established potteries in Vallauris-Golfe Juan, France, with Jacques Massier (1801-71) followed by his sons Clement and Delphin and their cousin Jerome. They are regarded as the playing a pivotal role in establishing Vallauris as a centre of excellence in the field of artist and decorative art pottery. A legacy that continues today, through the like of Pablo Picasso at Madoura to The International Biennial of Ceramic Arts;held at the Castle museum.
There were 3 separate factories, each run by a different member of the family. They created the best art nouveau art pottery made in France, including monumental architectural majolica and the famed iridescent lustre glazes, now valued so highly. Click here for the family tree.

Clément Massier (1844-1917)









 Delphin Massier (1836-1907)






Jérôme Massier (1850-1926)







Useful internet references, include;
www.titusomega.com
www.artundantik.eu
   

2 comments:

  1. Yes Steven this idea of contemporary pictures to illustrate is great. I wonder too in what way you fidled with the width of your Blogger version to hold these large pictures within the frames and borders. I keep trying but do not seem to get right

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for the comment Gerrie - we are lucky that the picture postcards survive and it is surprising how architecturally fancy those factories were. I have never seen any period postcards of the woodblock artists we all like - the best seen are the odd gallery booklet - like your Rotteken booklet. About my blog settings and the larger pictures. I am not sure that I am doing anything clever !! I am using the "awesome" template set to 1000px width with a 280px side bar. Perhaps it is your pictures - for the big pictures, I use 72pixels/inch with a maximum size setting at 20cm and then post at original size - this seems to work for me. Today also is my blogs 1st Birthday - I will post about my year leter today.

    ReplyDelete