Thursday, 3 January 2013

A Squirrel's Tail

It's New Years Day !! and I out for a morning walk -- when all of a sudden a car pull up and I'm bundled in to the back and driven away !! No not a scene from the Bourne Identity, luckily for me, it was some friends taking me to see the Squirrels at our local wildlife centre.

£10.50 !! to visit a few mice, rats and squirrels !!!

......... and then this.........


Red Squirrel ... rare little beast to us Englanders and there they were, all about us. Whilst their feeding platforms are caged, they are freely running and playing in an open air escape proof enclosure. This little one was straight out and after a quick sniff, he ran up my arm around my shoulders and down my leg. Worth every penny !!

Here's another .........


Sadly, I only had my phone's camera with me, so I only got these shots. I not a great fan of Zoos, but this one only has British native species and are often rescued animals or part of captive breeding programmes.  As you would imagine a lot of the animals were hiding away keeping ware, so no sitings of the Pine Martens, Badgers, Water Voles but we did briefly see a Weasel and Stoat. Yes, betters seen in the wild but where else would see Otters playing and genuine British Wild Cats !!

... and just for research purposes, here are a few Red Squirrel prints.

Norbertine von Bresslern-Roth (1891-1978) - Link to

Albrecht Durer (1471-1528)

Edward Julius Detmold (1883 – 1957)

Winifred Austen, RI, RE (1876 to 1964)

That's all folk !! but try and visit the squirrel at the British Wildlife Centre near Blindley Heath in Surrey.

Post a Comment